One of the things that fascinates me about the United States is the state of it’s politics. In Bill Clinton they had a leader who appeared to care deeply about America’s foreign policy, and the role the US Presidency could play in promoting peace across the world. He worked tirelessly at promoting peace in many difficult places and won admiration across the world for doing so. But his own people wanted to impeach him for indiscretions in his private life.
On the other hand, George W Bush decided to enforce his brand of world peace at the point of a gun, and most of the world turned away in disgust at the obvious hypocrisy. And it seems that large tranches of the US Electorate fete him as a hero.
Well, I think some of our cousins need to know how we see things over here. Quite by chance, I came across a website called Thank You Tony. Believe it or not, this is not a wind up! We are invited to enter our messages of thanks to Tony Blair for supporting Bush in his crusade against Iraq.
Well, there are plenty of things I’d like to thank Tony for:
- Thank you Tony for promising us “Ethical Foreign Policy” and then changing your Foreign Secretary when he was too ethical
- Thank you Tony being the most right-wing Labour Prime Minister this country has ever had.
- Thank you Tony for making us reviled around the world for our imperialism and hypocrisy.
- Thank you Tony for taking us to war on the back a dubious case based on dubious intelligence.
- Thank you Tony for thinking that you were bigger than the BBC – when they dared to run a story suggesting what most of us already suspected (that the case for war had been “sexed up”), you interfered with the greatest “editorially free” broadcaster in the world.
- Thank you Tony for changing a party I was once proud to support into one that I don’t recognise any more.
Thank you Tony for being so far up George W Bush that I can no longer tell where he ends and you begin. What the good people of the USA need to know is that the vast majority of us in the UK wanted no part of Bush’s dirty war, and we are ashamed that our Prime Minister ever let us be sucked in to it!